Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Detox Kale Salad and Dressing

Okay, so it's not really a detox salad because I don't know what goes into a detox salad. However, I tend to eat kale when I feel like I NEED to detox...hence, the name.


I don't know what it is, but I've convinced myself that when I go away on vacation, calories cease to exist. That's a real thing, right? Anyway, I always come home and feel...bleh. To make myself feel better, I take a few days and eat super healthy things, like this salad.

Kale is magical for a lot of reasons. Aside from having lots of health benefits (google it), kale is unlike regular salad in that you can just let it sit in the fridge for a few days, and instead of wilting, it gets better - even with dressing on it!

Here's what you need (adapted from Real Girl's Kitchen)...

1 bunch of kale
About 12-15 cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
1 shallot
A handful of blueberries
About 1 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 cup of champagne vinegar
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt

Here's what you do...

1. Rip the leaves of the kale away from their stems and rip into small pieces. Place in a bowl.


2. Pour the olive oil over the kale and gently massage it in for a minute or two. It sounds really strange, but it softens the leaves, which makes it easier to eat.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, 1 tsp of the shallot, salt, honey, and mustard.
4. Add tomatoes, the rest of the shallot (sliced) and the blueberries to your kale. Then, pour your dressing over it. Toss the salad, and refrigerate until ready to eat.


5. Enjoy!

I have a feeling Justin is going to freak when he sees this accompanying our dinner tonight. Wish me luck! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment