Friday, June 15, 2012

Chicken Parmesan Burgers


HAPPY FRIDAY!! This is an EXCELLENT Friday because I am posting a recipe that I came up with 100% on my own – woo!


Okay, so my motivation for coming up with this was a little backwards. Justin was complaining about how I always buy these “expensive” whole-wheat buns when we eat burgers, and we only eat 2 buns and end up throwing out the other 6. SO, in an effort to prove him wrong…I used all 8 buns in 1 week with 4 different burgers.

Told you I was on a burger kick. The other 2 recipes are coming soon!

Here’s what you need (makes 4 burgers)…

1 lb of ground chicken (usually 1 package)
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
8-10 basil leaves, chopped, plus 4 more per burger for topping
1 tsp of fresh rosemary*
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp of romano or parmesan cheese
sprinkle of pepper
1 piece of sliced mozzarella per burger
Your favorite marinara sauce (I used this homemade recipe)
The most expensive whole wheat buns you can find (kidding!)

*If you can't find fresh basil/rosemary, use 1/2 tsp of each in the dry version. 

Here's what you do...

1. Put chicken, garlic, rosemary, basil (except for leaves you set aside for topping), italian seasoning, romano or parmesan cheese and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Divide into 4 patties and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.


2. On a grill or skillet, cook your burgers for about 6-7 minutes per side. Add 1 slice of mozzarella to each burger and let melt right before you take it off the grill/skillet. Remove from grill/skillet and set aside.
3. Toast your bun and then put 2 basil leaves on the bottom, your chicken burgers, then a generous spoonful of marinara, then the other 2 basil leaves.


4. ENJOY! 

These turned out really well and are actually not terribly bad for you, especially if you can find reduced fat mozzarella. 

Have a FANTASTIC weekend! I plan to see what colorful things I can find at the Farmer's Market :)

2 comments:

  1. Madeline,
    I just want to say "kudos" on creating a great chicken burger! My family loved it, even my picky eaters. I found your recipe through Pinterest and included it in a "Week of Pinterest Meals Experiment" on my blog, pointing folks here for the recipe. Keep up the good work!
    Wendy at PrairieInk.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe sounds interesting. I wish there were a "pin it" button so I could save it for later. :(

    ReplyDelete