Monday, April 29, 2013

Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash Boats

Sorry for the hiatus! Law school gets in the way of my hobbies sometimes. How annoying.


Today was my last day of class (YAY!), and in less than two weeks I will be done with finals (double YAY!), AND in less than 4 weeks, I will be married (TRIPLE YAY!). Oh, and I start a new job somewhere in between. SO, I apologize for being a less than consistent blogger. 

I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash FOREVER, and it figures that I finally decided to get it while it was out of season (read: it was a little expensive). These things are cheaper in the winter, BUT I so recommend these - they were so good! And, of course, gluten free (is anyone sick of me reminding you?).

Here's what you need (adapted from Skinnytaste)...

2 medium spaghetti squash
1 jar of your favorite marinara (I used a Trader Joe's brand)
Salt/pepper
1-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Chicken*
Italian seasoning
Reduced fat italian cheese (I used a blend, but feel free to just do mozzarella)
Parmesan cheese

*I had leftover rotisserie chicken, but you could also use grilled chicken (seasoned with some oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper).

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Split your spaghetti squash in half (easier said than done) and scoop out the seeds on the inside. Place the squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, then roast for 60 minutes.


3. In the meantime, saute your onion and garlic in some olive oil until soft (5-7 minutes). Once it's done, mix in your chicken and set aside.

4. When the squash are done roasting, use a fork to "fluff" the spaghetti out of it. It will come off all the sides - it's really cool (at least to me).


5. Pour in a layer of marinara (I mixed it into the "spaghetti"), then your chicken/onion mixture, then another layer of sauce. Top with a good layer of italian cheese, some italian seasoning, and parmesan.


6. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and it's warmed through. Enjoy!


These were even good leftover - and actually really simple.

I will do my absolute best to be around more, but I can't make any promises. I do have some amazing homemade cupcakes, a gluten free version of this blueberry bread, and yet another pasta recipe on the horizon. Don't give up on me!

1 comment: