Monday, November 5, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

Hi! Remember me? 


Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks now. We traveled 2 weekends in a row, and while I've been cooking, I have not been posting.

It's starting to get cold here in NC, so I have started making soups like a crazy person. This is one of my all time favorites. I started pulling ideas from various recipes until it ended up being completely my own.

Are you familiar with my friends the leeks? SO good. And lots of health benefits that I could list to you, but you can just look them up if you really care. Summary: they taste good and they are good for you.


Here's what you need...

4 tbsp butter
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 yellow onions, diced
4 leeks, rinsed and sliced - only the white parts*
3 stalks of celery, diced
15 baby red potatoes, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 cups low sodium chicken broth**
3/4 cup of half and half

*You MUST rinse your leeks!! They are really dirty. I usually put mine in a bowl full of water and toss them around a few times to make sure they are clean (see below).



**If you want this to be a vegetarian soup, just use vegetable broth!

Here's what you do...

1. In a large stock pot, melt your butter. Saute onion, leeks and celery for about 5-8 minutes, until they soften up a bit. Add garlic for 30 seconds, then add potatoes.


2. Add pepper, white pepper and thyme. Saute spices with everything for another 5-10 minutes.

3. Add your broth. Allow to simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft.



4. Once your vegetables are soft, use a potato masher to mash everything up in the pot. I like my soup with chunks of potato in it, but this time I tried using my immersion blender to make a smooth soup. I still prefer the chunks, but that's just me!

5. Add half and half and allow to simmer for another 15-20 minutes, or until it's a little bit thicker.

6. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan and a little parsley. Enjoy!!


This soup is PERFECT for the cooler weather, and it's actually fairly good for you. 

Would you all hate me if I posted something non-food related on here? I promise it won't be about my emotions or anything like that.

Promise to be back sooner than 3 weeks!!! Stay warm :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment