Friday, November 23, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole AND Green Bean Casserole


I know, I know. I'm a day late. Whatever, you should cook Thanksgiving food year round.


These two recipes? Amazing. I made 4 sides this year - butternut squash mac and cheese, Trader Joe's stuffing, and these two recipes. Justin made an amazing turkey, and we were set!

Best part about these two recipes? They are lightened up versions. No cream. Very little butter. Delicious.


It was a busy oven.

Sweet potato casserole (from How Sweet Eats):

2 lbs of sweet potatoes (this was 2 big potatoes for me)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp brown butter (see butternut squash recipe for a how to)
1/3 cup lite coconut milk (this does NOT add coconut flavor - just creaminess)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Crust:

1/2 cup whole, unsalted pecans, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter, softened
mini marshmallows

Mix everything together with your hands and set aside.

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Peel and chop your potatoes into pieces and boil for 20-30 minutes, or until soft.

3. Add your potatoes to a bowl and, using a mixer, blend until smooth. Add all other ingredients (except crust) and blend again.

4. Pour into an oven safe bowl, top with crust and then mini marshmallows. Bake for 25 minutes and enjoy!



I was so excited to dig into the sweet potato casserole that I didn't even take a picture of the finished product. But there's a picture of our turkey in the oven!

Green Bean Casserole - here's what you need (from My Life as a Mrs)...

1-1.25 lbs of green beans
8 oz. mushrooms, slice
5-7 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp salted butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp flour
dash of cayenne*
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup half and half
Onion straws (we got ours from Trader Joe's)

*Leave out the cayenne if you don't like a little kick!

Here's what you do...

1. Boil your green beans for 5-7 minutes and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to blanch. Drain and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350.

3. In a pan, combine butter, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft. Add garlic and cayenne and stir for another minute.

4. Add flour and stir for another minute more. It will be a weird chunky looking mixture. Then, add chicken broth and bring to a simmer stirring until the flour is well-combined. Then, add half and half and simmer for another 10 minutes or until thick.

5. Add green beans and about 1 cup of onion straws. Pour into an oven safe dish and top with more onion straws. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

I can't stand mushrooms, but I love them in this dish. This was the hit of the night - I will be offended if you use cream of mushroom soup in the future.



 I hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving! We are about to jump into finals, so I will be MIA for awhile. I wanted to leave you with this:



1. That is a dog bed.
2. I'm pretty sure normal animals lay on top of the pillow, not under.
3. Should I take this as a sign that I shouldn't have children when my CAT turns out to be this crazy? Just a thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment