Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese

Hear me out. 



This holiday season has been a little crazy, but I’m not crazy. Yet.

I’ve been MIA for the last week because Justin and I were in Maryland visiting his family for the holidays. Last Saturday, his amazing family threw me a VERY fun bridal shower. We received a lot of awesome gifts, but the first thing we used when we got home…was the Panini maker.


There’s something about melted cheese on hot crispy bread that I just LOVE. I stumbled over this recipe several weeks ago, and it’s been in the back of my mind. You don't need a panini maker for this - you can make it like regular grilled cheese in a pan.

This. Sandwich. Is. Amazing.


Plus, it’s loaded with brussels sprouts, so it’s totally healthy, right? Right.

Here's what you need (from How Sweet Eats)...

4-5 brussels sprouts, stems removed and chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of olive oil
Salt and peper to taste
4-5 thin slices of havarti cheese
Balsamic glaze*
2 slices whole wheat bread

*You can buy a balsamic glaze at just about any grocery store. Find it in the aisle with the oils/vinegars.

Here's what you do...

1. In a small pan, saute garlic, brussels, salt and pepper for about 5-6 minutes or until the brussels are wilted. 


2. If you're not using a panini press, butter one side of each piece of bread. Layer a couple pieces of cheese, then the brussels sprouts. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, then add a couple more piece of cheese, then top with bread.

3. Place under your panini press, or in a pan, and cook until brown (if cooking in a pan, flip so the other side can get brown as well).

4. Remove and enjoy!


These are my new favorite vegetable. Just in time for the New Year...


0 comments:

Post a Comment