Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Skinny" Fettuccine Alfredo

I am obsessed with this recipe, which I found here and edited just a bit. Food Network is the best.
You could also use this as a dipping sauce for garlic bread.
I made this for Justin for Valentine's Day (and in return, he grilled me a perfect filet - yum!), and it turned out amazing. We could not get over this creamy, delicious sauce...and the fact that we did not have to feel guilty. Want to know why?


A serving of this recipe = 490 calories. To be honest, it's probably less because 1. we used whole wheat pasta, and 2. my "serving size" was only a small side portion. 


A serving of Fettuccine Alfredo at the Olive Garden = 1220 calories. Nope. Not kidding.


I apologize for the lack of pictures. My camera ran out of battery and I was distracted by how amazing this sauce was. 


Here is what you need...


1 package of whole wheat fettuccine
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
6-7 cloves of garlic, minced*
2 tsp of all purpose flour
1 cup of 2% milk
2 tbsp of light cream cheese
1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese*
3 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp of salt
black pepper to taste


*I believe all Italian food should be PACKED with garlic. If you don't, don't use that much. Next time, I think I might run it through the food processor so the sauce is smoother, but mincing works just fine.


*Take the time to grate your parmesan. I promise you, it is worth it.


Here is what you do...


1. Boil water in a large pot and cook your pasta al dente. Reserve about 3/4 of a cup of the pasta water.
2. Melt your butter in a skillet or pot over medium heat.
3. Add your garlic and stir until soft, about 1 minute.
4. Add your flour and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add your milk and salt and stir for 4-5 minutes. It should start to thicken, but if it doesn't, add a bit more flour.
6. Add the cream cheese and parmesan and stir until melted.
7. Add your fresh parsley (do not leave this out! It adds such a great flavor).
8. Pour your sauce and the 3/4 cup of reserved pasta water over your drained pasta.
Look at how thick and creamy it is!!
9. ENJOY!


This is so good. If you are a fan of Alfredo, make this and tell me what you think. You will never be tempted to order 1220 calorie Alfredo out ever again :) Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day!





0 comments:

Post a Comment