Saturday, April 26, 2014

Caleb's Gluten Free Cheddar Bay Biscuits

I asked my brother, Caleb, to write a guest post on these biscuits and he said, “hell no.” Frankly, it’s probably better that way. A post by Cal would be laced with profanity and wouldn’t contain any actual measurements. You would all abandon me.


Umm before we get started with the recipe, I have to say THANK YOU for all the sweet Facebook messages, texts, and calls I’ve gotten about my “Random Thoughts.” All the love feels so amazing! This week has been hell (Perry is feeling much better, finally), but having all these lovely comments to read has made things so much better, so THANK YOU!

Onto Caleb’s biscuits! Every time Justin and I visit Florida, we beg Cal to make these for us (and he always does because he’s an excellent little brother). He doesn’t measure ANYTHING. It blows my mind. These turn out perfect every single time.

Me and Cal
He made a copy of the recipe he sort of follows and wrote his own comments. For example, where it says “3/4 cups of milk,” Caleb crossed it out and simply wrote, “bullshit.” Fortunately, I’ve watched him make these enough times that I knew what they were supposed to look like.

Cal's recipe
I made these for Easter dinner and they were fantastic. I actually measured things, so there are real measurements below. I have to say, his are still (somehow) better. He just has the magic touch.

Here’s what you need (from the recipe above and the mind of Caleb Obler) . . .

One box of gluten free bisquick (see picture below)
3 cups of milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp salted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups fresh shred sharp cheddar 


For the topping:

3 tbsp salted butter, melted
½ tbsp. dried parsley
½ tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Stir together right before you are ready to spread on the biscuits (see directions below).

Here’s what you do . . .

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. In a bowl, combine the entire box of bisquick, milk, garlic powder, butter, and cheese. Stir to combine, but it does not have to be perfectly smooth.

3. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, drop a handful sized drop of batter. Do not try to form it – you want little peaks to form on the top of your biscuits.


4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until you start to see the little peaks brown on top. You want an even browning.

What the biscuits should look like before you put the topping on them.
5. Once you see the browning on the biscuits, take out the biscuits and with a pastry brush, spread the butter/parsley/garlic/salt mixture over the biscuits.

6. Bake for another 5-7 minutes.

7. Remove and eat warm. Enjoy!!


These are some of my favorite things and they were a hit at Easter. They do NOT taste gluten free (aka, they taste awesome).

Many thanks to Cal for sharing his recipe and promising to open a food truck with me if my life falls apart. Our food truck would kick serious ass.


Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment