Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Funday: Mexican Lasagna


I LOVE this recipe.

This recipe comes from Rachel Ray, who I am completely obsessed with. I used to watch 30 minute meals in high school on a regular basis, and while I have NEVER been able to make one of her meals in 30 minutes, I still love her.


This Mexican lasagna will knock your socks off! It is SO good, SO easy, and I love making it because the leftovers last all week. Law school is not conducive to me cooking every night of the week.

SO, here is what you need…

2 pounds of ground chicken
1 medium red onion, diced*
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
2 tbsp of chili powder
2 tsp of cumin
1 package of tortillas (I used whole wheat)
A bunch of green onions
2 packages of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used 2%)

*Does everyone know how to dice an onion and mince garlic? I’m far from an expert, but I do know how to do this, so if you don’t, let me know and I’ll post a how-to on here!

Here is what you do...

1.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and sautee your chicken until it is cooked through, mashing it up. 
3. Add your onions and spices and evenly distribute
4. Add your tomatoes (mash them up), beans, and corn. Let your mixture simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.


5. Meanwhile, grease a shallow baking dish with Pam
6. Cut your tortillas into fourths. They should look like triangles. Put a layer of them on the bottom of your dish.


Covering the bottom of your dish with tortillas
7. Then, do a layer of your meat/bean mixture. Next, add another layer of tortillas, then add a layer of cheese and green onions, the meat, then tortillas. Keep repeating until you reach the top. Make sure to do a layer of cheese and green onions on the top!

The Meat Layer
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 3-5 minutes.
9. After removing it from the oven, let your lasagna sit for about 10 minutes so it can set
10. Cut into it and ENJOY!



1
 Like I said, I love this recipe. I hope you do, too!! Happy Sunday :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment