Friday, March 23, 2012

White Bean Something

I just started a new page called Recipe Flops. This recipe inspired it.

This was supposed to be white bean gratin, but instead, it was a huge disaster. PLEASE look at and follow the original recipe. I did NOT do this, and here is what happened:


What IS that??

Ugh. Here is what I used (adapted from this recipe - use this recipe!! Not mine!!):

2 15 oz. cans of great white northern beans (original called for 3)
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 shallot, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup of 2% milk
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
2/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 and 1/2 cups of parmesan (original recipe uses 3 cheeses)

Here is what I did...I will be sure to let you know the many ways I went wrong:

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Drain and rinse the beans - I did this right!


2. In a large pan, sauté your garlic and onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil. So far, so good.
3. Add your beans and stir until hot, about 3-4 minutes. At this point, things still seemed to be going okay.
4. Here is where I went super wrong. The original recipe tells you to take out 2 cups of the beans and add them to a blender with 1 tbsp of olive oil, milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Because I was only using 2 cans, I decided to take out HALF the beans and do this. Poor decision. Why? Because I didn't adapt any of the measurements of the other ingredients to match my change. Oops.
5. Once you blend the ingredients together, you add everything back in the pan. It was at this point I began to wonder if things had gone a little wrong...


6. If I am not mistaken, there should be WAY more whole beans in there then blended beans. Anyway, I let this warm up, then I added it to my baking dish and put the bread crumbs and cheese on top.


7. Because I couldn't find fontina and gruyere, I decided to just use parmesan. Another bad mistake. Anyway, I baked this for about 25 minutes.

Please follow the original recipe. I am sure it is fantastic. This was so far away from fantastic. Justin and I kept trying to find redeeming qualities...but that just did not happen.

Enjoy my first posted recipe flop :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment