Monday, April 23, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo Pasta

Do you think it's abnormal that food makes me so happy?


Probably. I'm okay with that. Two side notes before I get started...actually, 3:

1. Blogger changed their layout. Not. happy.
2. This page has had over 1,000 views (the new layout allowed me to see this)! You guys are SO awesome!! I am really glad you keep coming back for more of my crazy :)
3. My dog ate...probably a solid 4 ounces of fontina cheese and crackers this weekend when we turned our backs. Is it weird that I was oddly proud of her? She's got good taste.

So, this recipe. Really delicious. I made the chicken with my crock pot, but if you don't have a crock pot (Nicole, notes like this are for you), I have put an alternative way to cook the chicken.

Also, I am going to put down the measurements I used, but the suggestions for what I would do differently. Summary: too much chicken, not enough pasta.

Here is what you need (from How Sweet It Is):

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts **
4 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp of dry white wine
Salt
Pepper
5-6 garlic cloves, minced finely
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan
1 cup of whole wheat orzo pasta, uncooked
Vegetable of choice (I used peas - I love them)

**Next time, I will only use 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and probably about a 1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat orzo.

*The non-crock pot directions are on the bottom!

Here is what you do...

1. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Combine garlic, 3 tbsp of olive oil, 3 tbsp of white wine, the garlic, basil, parsley and parmesan cheese in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken and let marinate overnight.


2. The next day, throw your chicken in the crockpot with the remaining 3 tbsp of wine and cook on low 6 hours.
3. Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the directions on the bag. Drain and add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 2-4 tbsp of parmesan.
4. Cook your veggie (I highly recommend peas) and throw those into the pasta.
5. Shred your chicken and add into pasta as well.
6. Sprinkle a little more parmesan on top, and enjoy!

*If you don't have a crock pot, purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Pull the breast meat off and set aside. Sauté your garlic in a large pan with olive oil for a few minutes, then add all the wine, basil, and parsley. Stir for a few minutes, then add chicken and simmer until wine is mostly absorbed. Add to pasta/veggie mixture.


I start finals in a week, so I apologize in advance if I go MIA for a bit. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment