Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grilled Chicken with Fontina and Prosciutto

Sorry for the delay! Life has been a little hectic. I have missed my kitchen.


Okay, so that doesn't look super appetizing because I desperately need a new camera, BUT, it is delicious. I found this on one of my new favorite blog sites, My Life as a Mrs.

Can I tell you how adventurous I am? I don't like mushrooms. After spending a wonderful Easter weekend with my fantastic future in-laws, I was inspired to cook something amazing because they all make the BEST food, hence why I want to learn to cook like a Grill :)

I decided to give mushrooms a shot. Justin almost fell over in shock.


I was skeptical, but I gave it a shot, and it was fantastic. I also think this sauce would be tasty on fish, maybe without the mushrooms.

Here is what you need (adapted from My Life as a Mrs)...

For the chicken:
1 boneless skinless chicken breast for each person you are serving
salt
oregano
pepper
1 slice of prosciutto for each slice of chicken (can get in the deli)
Enough fontina cheese to cover each breast

For the sauce:
1 large yellow onion, diced
6-7 cremini mushrooms, sliced
4-5 cloves of garlic, diced
3 tbsp of butter
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup of chicken broth or stock
1/2 tsp of salt
black pepper
1/2 tsp of basil (or 6 fresh basil leaves)

Side note, this is my lemon juicer. I love this thing:


Here is what you do...

1. Season your chicken with salt, pepper and oregano on both sides. Grill on medium heat for about 9 minutes on each side. Remove, and set to the side.


2. Meanwhile, drizzle a large pan with olive oil and add your onions. Sauté for a few minutes until soft, then add your mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Then, add your garlic. Stir often.


3. Once your mushrooms are soft, add butter and lemon and stir well.
4. Then, add chicken broth/stock, salt and pepper and simmer for a little bit until it gets thick. I ended up simmering mine for almost 20 minutes, but I don't like my sauces super thin.


6. While your sauce is simmering, place your prosciutto over your chicken, then your fontina. Place under the broiler for about 4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
7. Right before you serve your sauce, add your basil and stir.
8. Pour your sauce over your chicken.
9. Enjoy!

I served it with brown rice, which I thought was the perfect complement. Pasta probably would have work as well.


Have a GREAT rest of your week, and I promise not to stay away too long this time! Exams are quickly approaching and I have a feeling I will need to relieve some stress in the kitchen :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment