Sunday, August 26, 2012

Chicken Stir Fry


In case you were wondering, it is true what they say about law school: first year they scare you to death, second year they work you to death, and third year they bore you to death.


I can’t yet attest to the third year being true, but I can certainly say second year is 100% true. This is why I needed some stir fry in my life.

I don’t know why, but when I get REALLY stressed, I want Chinese food. Chinese food, however, is not the healthiest thing in the world. This is why I own a wok and make my own stir fry.



This recipe is super flexible. I added LOTS of veggies, but use whatever you want. And go get a wok if you don’t own one. We got ours for $10 at IKEA (the Swedes are magical people).

Here’s what you need (inspired by Food Network)…

1 cup of uncooked brown rice
2 chicken breasts
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup of reduce sodium soy sauce
1-2 tbsp of sriracha*
A handful of sugar snap peas
1 red pepper, diced
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
½ big yellow onion, diced
5-6 green onions, sliced
1 cup of shredded carrots
½ cup of frozen peas

*I LOVE spicy food, so I used a lot of sriracha. If you only like a slight kick, I would suggest 1-2 teaspoons instead of tablespoons. Or leave it out entirely.

Here’s what you do…

1. Cook your rice ahead of time. You want it to be cooled by the time you start cooking everything else.

2. Prep your veggies and spray your wok with a non-stick spray. Quickly cook your eggs, and set them aside. You want they to be chopped up in small pieces and pretty dried out.

3. Cook your chicken. I chose to marinate my chicken in a teriyaki marinade I bought at the grocery store, then grill it and chop it into bite size pieces. You could also marinate it and then cook the chopped up pieces in the wok at this point - up to you! Once it's done cooking, set it aside.


4. Add your vegetable and sesame oil to the hot wok. Quickly add all your veggies except your frozen peas. Allow to cook until soft, stirring frequently (about 6-7 minutes).


5. Add your rice and stir frequently for about 5 minutes.

6. Add chicken, egg, soy sauce and sriracha and allow to cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. The wok gets hot and you don't want anything to burn, so just keep a good eye on it.

7. Enjoy!

We had lots of leftover, which was convenient considering we basically did nothing but read all weekend. Don't be too jealous :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment