Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gluten Free Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa

Get ready to see a whole lot more gluten free on this blog.


Fiance found out this week he is gluten intolerant. According to fiance, the blood test that he took that tested his blood for allergies? Yeah, it's not legitimate. He's convinced it's wrong. He's drinking beer (which he rarely drinks) to prove some sort of point. I'm not sure if he's trying to prove it to me or the blood test, but either way, I'm not buying it.

I am slowly getting rid of the many, many gluten products in our pantry/fridge without his knowledge because he is refusing to acknowledge he's gluten intolerant because he's "never reacted to it!"

I think the best way to make this difficult transition is to show him how gluten free things can still taste good. Case in point: this quinoa.


It is SO good. I could not stop eating it. I've seen variations of this recipe floating around for awhile, and I finally broke down and tried one. I am so glad I did.

Here's what you need (from The Novice Chef)...

2 cups of water
1 cup of quinoa
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 large yellow onion, diced
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne*
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup fat free half and half
2 cups of fresh shred cheddar (I used a mix of white and yellow cheddar)
2 cups of steamed broccoli**
Parmesan cheese for topping

*Leave out the cayenne if you don't like a little kick.

**I used fresh broccoli, but feel free to use those microwave steam bags to save time.

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa. Turn heat to low, and cover allowing to simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.

3. Add butter and cornstarch to a pan. Stir together until thick, then add onion and garlic and stir until soft (about 5 minutes). Then, add cayenne and ground mustard.

4. Add milk and half and half and stir frequently until combined and thick. About 7-10 minutes.


5. Add your cheese and stir until melted and well combined. Add broccoli and quinoa and mix to combine.


6. Pour it all into a baking dish and top evenly with parmesan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is brown. Enjoy!!


I kept saying how delicious this tasted and how it is a great (healthier) alternative to mac and cheese. Fiance just grunted and drank his beer (rebellion).

Whatever. He'll live.

0 comments:

Post a Comment