Monday, February 25, 2013

Shrimp Tacos with a Tangy Slaw

This is one the best things I've made in awhile. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do anything else with shrimp.


These tacos are just...magic. I can promise these will be a regular staple in our house. In fact, I would not be the least bit shocked if we ate these again this week. THAT GOOD.

These are exploding with flavor, and this slaw that I sort of...made up and threw together ended up being perfect. The original shrimp recipe suggested the shrimp would be crispy, and they weren't, but the flour help all the seasoning stay on the shrimp, which made them so delicious.

I love when that happens.

Here's what you need (recipe for shrimp adapted from How Sweet Eats)...

For shrimp/tacos:

1 lb of peeled and deveined shrimp (I peeled my own)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup flour
Tortillas
Reduced fat sour cream

For slaw:

1 cup of pre mixed slaw/cabbage
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 jalapeno, diced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 tbsp sugar

For the slaw, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and stir well to combine. This tastes best if you refrigerate it for a few hours before eating.


For shrimp:

1. Make sure your shrimp are patted dry. In one bowl, put all your seasonings (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper). In another bowl, put your flour.

2. One by one, dip your shrimp in the seasoning mix so it's well covered, then in the flour.


3. In a large skillet, saute the shrimp, about 3 minutes on each side or until they are pink. Remove and drain on a paper towel.


4. We used corn tortillas, but I think next time I want to use flour. Spread on sour cream (if desired - Justin also put a little sriracha on his), then shrimp, then slaw. Enjoy!


I've said this so many times now, but these were just so good.


And SO easy! These came together really quickly. Great weeknight meal. And healthy!

I'm going to stop saying how much I loved these. Just go make them.

Oh, and follow exercise blog! I need all the support I can get for the next 10 weeks :) http://gotrainingwithbeth.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment