Thursday, April 11, 2013

Easy, Light Italian Pasta

Do I have to keep telling you I used gluten free pasta? I did. Brown rice fuselli pasta from Trader Joe's. It tasted normal.


There isn't really a right way to make this dish. This has been a go-to whenever we have random things hanging around the house that we need to eat. It's simple - comes together it about 15 minutes if you don't have to cook a new protein. 

We had leftover grilled chicken, so I cut it into small pieces and threw it in the skillet, but use whatever you want! If you don't have pre-cooked chicken laying around, season raw chicken with salt/pepper/garlic powder, slice it into small pieces, and saute it in the skillet with olive oil until cooked through (about 7-8 minutes). Then, follow the steps below!

Here's what you need...

1/2 lb. pasta of choice (I find the fuselli noodles above catch cheese well)
1 lb of chicken (or whatever you want!)
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, diced
10-15 grape tomatoes, sliced
1/2 tbsp dried basil
4 oz. of fresh mozzarella, sliced into pieces*
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
Fresh parmesan and parsley for topping

*I have also used feta in place of mozzarella here - also delicious.

Here's what you do...

1. Cook pasta according to package. Drain and set aside.

2. In a large saute pan, saute garlic and onion in olive oil (use a decent about - 1 1/2 tbsp). Cook until soft (about 6-7 minutes), then add tomatoes. 


3. If you have leftover chicken (or whatever protein you want to use) throw it in now to heat through. Add basil and saute for a few more minutes.

4. Pour in the 1 1/2 tsp of olive oil into the pasta. Then, add mozzarella and stir. Then, add onion/tomato/chicken mixture and stir again. Top with parmesan and parsley and enjoy!

This simple dish packs a lot of flavor and I really can't stress how quickly it comes together - one of my favorite weeknight meals! It's also pretty light.


I have been craving cinnamon buns lately (yesterday I was craving a smoothie - what is wrong with me? NO, I'm not pregnant). These look particularly amazing. Think I can make them gluten free?! We shall see...

0 comments:

Post a Comment