Sunday, April 7, 2013

Homemade (Light!) Potato Salad

My world has turned gluten-free.


I don't really think this is a bad thing, however, since we've been eating gluten free (fiance has finally accepted he must do this), any time I eat gluten I react to it. 

What. the. hell. 

Apparently, this doesn't necessarily mean I'm allergic to it, however, my body is adjusting to (and apparently enjoying) not eating gluten. I had something with gluten in it the other day, like a bite, and felt sick for the rest of the day.

I hear marriage is all about sacrifices, and it seems I have sacrificed gluten for mine. Sigh.

ANYway, it finally started getting warm in North Carolina yesterday and I was dying for a summer meal. We grilled some burgers and veggies and all that was missing was potato salad. Coming from Florida, I worship the red potato salad that comes from the Publix deli (I worship anything from the Publix deli), and I have yet to find something comparable in a store in NC. SO, I made my own, and I guarantee this is WAY lighter than anything you would find in a grocery store.

Here's what you need (adapted from Southern Food)...

About 1.5 lbs of red potatoes
2 ribs of celery, chopped into tiny pieces
1/2 red onion, chopped into tiny pieces
1/2 cup mayo (I used Kraft Reduced Fat Mayo w/Olive Oil)
1/4 cup of lowfat milk
1 1/2 tbsp of white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp ground mustard (taste it as you go)
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp pepper

Here's what you do...

1. Cover your potatoes (skins on) with water and boil for 30-45 minutes, or until you can easily pierce them with a fork. I like more of a smashed potato salad, but if you like it cut into chunks, undercook your potatoes a little. 

2. Let them cool, then put them in a bowl and use a fork to mash them up a bit. They should look like this (unless you cut them into pieces):


3. Add all the other ingredients and stir well to combine. Taste and add seasonings to your taste.

4. I highly suggest making this a few hours in advance and refrigerating it - it tastes better as the flavors sit and develop. Enjoy!


With summer right around the corner, this is a great side dish. Perfect to bring to a cook-out. And, of course, gluten free.

Best future-wife ever? I think so. Happy Sunday!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment