Sunday, September 1, 2013

Berry Crisp

Fresh Farmer's Market berries? Don't mind if I do.


To me, fresh berries scream "summer!" I can never resist them when I see them at the farmer's market, even if I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with them. It usually winds up being dessert as evidenced by last summer's blackberry cobbler.



So much for dieting. I should work on that as we are going to Jamaica (!!!!!!) in December. But it's a holiday weekend, so fruity dessert and gin and tonics it is!

Here's what you need (adapted from How Sweet Eats)...

1 pint fresh blueberries
1 pint of fresh blackberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp flour*
1/4 tsp salt

1 cup of oats*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
vanilla ice cream (necessary)

*I used Williams Sonoma Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour and certified gluten free oats from Trader Joe's - this is a GF crisp, but you can easily substitute regular flour/oats. Are you sick of me telling you these things yet?!

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Put your rinsed berries in a baking dish. Cover with 2 tbsp of sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp flour, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix to combine.

3. In a separate bowl, combine your oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Using your hands, add the butter combining until everything is covered. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the berries.

4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brown on top.


5. Enjoy!

This is the perfect summer dessert, and honestly, not the worst thing for you (this is what I'm telling myself). Can someone explain to me why getting married causes you to completely abandon all sense of health and wellness? Or is it just me?

I'm working on it. On a separate note, this is what I came back to after I left my berry crisp on the table to go find my camera:


Sigh. It photographed better on a plate anyway.

Have a fabulous Labor Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment