Friday, November 15, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

'TIS THE SEASON!!!!! Is it weird that I picked the marshmallows off the top of this? No? Fantastic.


I apologize that I have not been posting all that often. Law school gets in the way of my extracurricular interests, but fortunately that will be a non-issue come May. Technically come August AFTER the bar exam, but whatever.

In addition to posting here, I'll also be jumping back on Beth's Blog to detail my NEWEST exercise journey. I've put on a couple pounds in the last few months - not enough to be noticeable, but I'm aware of it. Beth is helping me all the way from PORTLAND, OREGON because she is awesome. I'm tracking my progress on her blog. There are some amazing tips, so tune in!

Okay, onto this casserole. This is a WAY lighter version of sweet potato casserole. I made this last year for Thanksgiving, and I plan to make it again this year. This is SO good, and, if you use GF flour and oats, it is gluten free!

Full disclosure: I posted this last year, but…I didn't have pictures so it doesn't count.


Here's what you need (from How Sweet Eats) . . .

2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 big potatoes)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup light coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted brown butter*

For the topping:

1/2 cup unsalted pecans, chopped
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tbsp oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a little salt
a little nutmeg
2 tbsp softened unsalted butter
mini marshmallows

Mix all parts of topping together (except marshmallows) and set aside until ready.

*To brown butter: melt in a saucepan and stir consistently for 5 minutes on high heat, or until little brown flakes appear on the bottom. Remove immediately from heat, and set aside until needed

Here's what you do . . .

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Peel your potatoes, chop them into pieces and boil for 20-25 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.

3. Transfer potatoes into a baking dish. I used a potato masher, but you can also use a handheld mixer, and beat/mix them well. Add all the ingredients (aside from topping) - brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown butter. Mix well.

4. Evenly top potatoes with topping. Then, add marshmallows on top of the topping!

5. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!


I LOVE this recipe. If you are missing some sweet potato magic from you Thanksgiving line up, I HIGHLY recommend this.

I wish I could promise I would post every day, but with finals fast approaching, this is unlikely. I will do my absolute BEST!

Have a wonderful weekend!






0 comments:

Post a Comment