Sunday, November 24, 2013

Roasted Acorn Squash with Chicken Sausage Stuffing

I really can't get over this recipe.


When I first found it on Skinny Taste, I was skeptical. There is not a lot of seasoning, and I had no idea what an acorn squash tasted like.

I'm SO glad I gave this a shot. It was warm, delicious, and perfect for the winter. AND low in calories, which fits right into my current diet plan, which you can read about by clicking HERE (Mimi - that means you click on the word HERE). Anything that says "LOCK IT UP" are my thoughts on my current diet and exercise plan.

Did I mention my diet and exercise plan included a greasy hamburger on Friday? No? Whatever. It was worth it. I've had a trying week.

Anyway, this squash thing - make it. It's so good, and I LOVE the presentation - how cute are my little squash in a bowl filled with stuffing?!

Here's what you need (slightly adapted from Skinny Taste) . . .

2 acorn squash*
3 links of sweet italian chicken sausage
1 cup of brown rice
1 1/2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
Olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
Salt
Pepper
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, diced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1-2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped

*This squash is tough to cut. You want to chop off the stem and then a little bit of the bottom so it will sit flat when you roast it. Then, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. You'll want to lay it on it's side and cut it in half that way - equatorially as opposed to longitudinally.

Here's what you do . . .

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cover your cut squash with some olive oil, and season evenly with salt and pepper. Put in a roasting pan with 1/4 cup of water on the bottom. Cover with foil and roast for 50 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered.


3. Cook your rice according to the package. The brown rice we get says 1 1/2 cups of liquid to every 1 cup of rice. I cooked the rice with vegetable stock for extra flavor.


4. In a large pan, drizzle a little oil and cook the chicken sausage until slightly browned. Chop it up into little pieces as it cooks. When it is done, set it aside.

5. Add more oil to your pan and 1 tbsp of butter. Cook onion, garlic and celery until celery is soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and your fresh sage. Cook a few minutes longer.

6. Add your rice and stir to combine.

7. Put rice/chicken mixture into roasted acorn squash. Enjoy!


This was SO good and surprisingly filling. Half a squash with stuffing completely filled me up! AND, according to Skinny Taste, you're looking at only 250-300 calories per half squash. WHAT?! Who needs hamburgers?!

Me. I need hamburgers. Always. This is good, but it is no greasy hamburger substitute.

Have a fantastic week and a wonderful Thanksgiving!!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment