Saturday, May 12, 2012

Whole Wheat Soda Bread

I'M FREEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Which means I can spend my Saturday baking bread.


I know, very strange, but I woke up this morning REALLLYYY wanting to bake bread.

The difference between soda bread and normal bread is that normal bread is baked with yeast, and soda bread uses baking powder/soda. It is more dense, but I like it. It's a filling snack/side and the whole wheat makes it fairly healthy. And all the herbs make it freaking delicious.

AND IT'S REALLY EASY. So, go make some bread.

Here's what you need (from How Sweet It Is):

1/2 stick of unsalted butter
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
1 tbsp of brown sugar
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp black pepper
 5 clove of garlic, minced
1 3/4 cup of buttermilk
1 egg white, beaten (you can buy the prepackage egg whites)

Here is what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small saucepan, melt your butter over high heat. Keep stirring it for about 3-5 minutes until it starts to brown. As soon as it starts to brown, take it off the heat and set it to the side.
3. Meanwhile, in a big bowl, mix both flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, thyme, basil, rosemary, pepper, and garlic.


4. Pour in your butter and buttermilk and mix with a fork. Eventually, I started kneading it with my hands. It was pretty dry, so you'll want to knead it for awhile so everything sticks together.
5. Split it in half - this makes 2 loaves. Roll them into balls, then cut an X in the center of each one - less than 1/2 an inch deep.


6. Place on a baking sheet and brush egg white all over each one.
7. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes - halfway from the top of your oven.
8. Take out and let sit for 30 minutes.
9. Enjoy!!

It tastes delicious and would make a great side to a lighter meal. Is it weird that I'm proud of the fact that I made bread?

Probably. Let's just say I'm still brain dead from finals. Now that it's over, you'll be seeing a lot more of me this summer - I can't WAIT!



0 comments:

Post a Comment