Sunday, June 10, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

I've been super skeptical about this whole "let's make a burger out of beans" trend.



I was amazed that I didn’t miss the meat of a typical hamburger, and these were loaded with flavor.

I made the chipotle mayonnaise the original recipe suggested, but I wasn’t a fan. If I made these again, I think I would top them with salsa, but I will add the chipotle mayonnaise recipe in case someone LOVES chipotle.

Here’s what you need (adapted from Skinny Taste)…

16 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
½ red pepper, diced*
½ cup of scallions
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 egg
1 tbsp of cumin
¼ tsp of salt
1 tsp of hot pepper sauce (I used Cholula)
½ cup of dried oats
Buns
Whatever toppings you want (I used spinach and onion)

*Make sure you put your chopped red pepper on a  paper towel and dry it off as best you can.

For the Chipotle Mayo (also from Skinny Taste)…

3 and ½ tbsp. of mayo (I used kraft reduced fat with olive oil)
1 tbsp of canned chipotle with adobo (found in the international aisle)

If using, combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Here's what you do for the burgers...

1. Chop your pepper, scallions and garlic and throw it in a bowl after ensuring the pepper is as dry as possible.


2. Put your beans into the bowl with the veggies and mash with a fork (or, in the alternative, use a food processor).
3. Add egg, cumin, salt, sauce and oats and mix well until thoroughly combined.
4. Divide the mixture into 4 patties (I made the mistake of making 3 and they were WAY too big).


5. Freeze for at least 2 hours to ensure they are formed. I'm pretty sure you could get away with refrigerating them for 2 hours if you don't have room in your freezer.
6. When ready to cook, place on a skillet with a little olive oil over medium high heat. Cook on each side for about 6-7 minutes, or until cooked through.


7. Serve on your buns with whatever toppings you want. Enjoy!

These were surprisingly delicious and CRAZY good for you. I was on a burger kick last week, so there are lots more burger recipes to come :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment