Monday, September 17, 2012

Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken

Cheese? Yes. Always. Although we need to file this under "things that look gross but taste awesome."


I need to vent for a moment. Justin has a serious Costco addiction, and this problem is what inspired (forced, maybe?) this recipe. If a person can have a legitimate addiction to a warehouse store, then my fiance needs AA for Costco members. He is honestly - and I'm not making this up - not allowed to go to Costco alone anymore because he will be gone for a solid 2 hours and come back with all this crap we don't need.

When I need 2 AAA batteries, I just need 2. Not 40.

ANYway, since I have to go on these Costco trips for the sake of our bank account and my personal sanity, we were at Costco on Saturday and Justin convinced me to get a Costco size thing of goat cheese. He's played to my weakness and it totally worked. Score 1 for Justin.


I can't say no to copious amounts of goat cheese. I just can't do it.

Here's what you need (adapted from both Food Network and How Sweet Eats)...

About 1-2 oz. of goat cheese per chicken breast
2-4 chicken breasts (depending on how many you're serving)
Dried basil
Dried oregano
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Flour
1 egg, scrambled

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a small bowl (see above) mix goat cheese with a few shakes of dried basil, oregano and garlic powder. This is to taste - I like a strong flavor, so I put a lot of seasoning in, but if you don't, put in less!

3. Slice your chicken breasts in the center creating a pocket.


4. Stuff the pocket with your goat cheese. You want to be able to seal your chicken breast without goat cheese pouring out.



5. Season your chicken with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and garlic. Place your flour on a plate and season with italian seasoning and garlic powder. Put your scrambled egg in a bowl. Dredge your chicken in the egg, then the flour, then repeat. 


6. In an oven safe skillet (if you have one, otherwise just use a regular skillet and transfer your chicken to a cookie sheet when you put it in the oven) sear the chicken in the vegetable oil for 2-3 minutes per side. 

7. After you've seared your chicken, bake it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove and let set for a few minutes.

8. Cut, serve and enjoy!


This was super easy - I made it on a weeknight - and it turned out really well. I apologize for the lack of measurements, but this is one of those recipes that you can just eyeball.

OH! Annnd one more thing. I found out my stepmom now reads my blog, so, whenever I can, I'm going to let you know what wine I drank with my meal because she's 1 person I'm 100% certain cares about what I'm drinking.

 I'm on a Greek white wine kick right now (um, $6.99 at Total Wine? Dry and fantastic? Done), so that's what we had with this dinner:


Happy Monday!! Have a great week. Make this chicken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment