Saturday, September 29, 2012

Greek Chicken Pita/Salad with homemade Tzatziki

Last Sunday, one of my dreams came true: I attended my first food truck festival.


For those who are not aware, food trucks have become a bit of a phenomenon over the last few years, and they have become gourmet - I'm not talking about funnel cakes and hot dogs. We're talking about delicious gourmet food...from a food truck.

ANYway, my favorite thing I had at the food truck festival was from a greek food truck. They served a grilled chicken pita with this amazing tzatziki, and I decided to try and recreate it.

There are 2 options - 1. the pita or 2. a salad. I'm attempting to avoid "bad" carbs (is there really such a thing?) as my wedding dress is en route and I have every intention of looking fabulous in it, so a salad was the way to go.


Being healthy is no fun what so ever, in case you were wondering.

Here's what you need (adapted from Skinny Taste)...

Marinade:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, diced (less if you're not a big garlic fan)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients together, pour in a ziplock bag with the chicken and allow to marinate at least 1-2 hours, preferably overnight.

Tzatziki (also adapted from Skinny Taste):

1/4 cup of fat free yogurt (I used Fage - of course we get it at Costco)
1 small cucumber, peeled
1-2 garlic cloves
a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh chives
salt/pepper to taste

Slice your cucumber in half and spoon out the seeds. Throw your cucumber into a food processor and then drain. Get as much liquid out as possible. Place dry cucumber back in the food processor with the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, dill, chives, salt and pepper. Pulse until blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.


For the salad:

Romaine lettuce
Tomatoes
Red onion
Feta cheese (I used reduced fat)
Lemon
Olive oil

Throw all ingredients into a bowl, top with grilled chicken and lemon/olive oil for dressing. I also had a side of tzatziki for dipping my chicken.


For the pita:

1 pita (you can find these at most grocery stores)
Romaine lettuce
Tomato
Red Onion
Grilled Chicken

1. I suggest laying your pita half on a sheet of aluminum foil and half off. Wrapping it in the foil when you're done helps to keep everything inside your pita.


2. Layer chicken, onion, tzatziki, lettuce and tomato on your pita. Top with additional tzatziki if desired, wrap up, and enjoy!


These turned out really well, and I'm guessing this tzatziki is a lot more healthy than the one at the food truck.

Now, for the "what I was drinking" segment of the program:


We chose a 2010 unoaked Chardonnay from Charlottesville, VA. Charlottesville wines are hard to find outside Charlottesville, however, a 2010 unoaked Chardonnay from Napa would absolutely be comparable. And equally as delicious.

Enjoy your weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment