Thursday, May 17, 2012

Easy Cajun Chicken Pasta


Things I have learned this week: I would be really good at being a housewife, but I would get extremelyyy bored after…about 3 days.

Justin started working this week, but I have been home alone with the animals. Piper voluntarily put herself in her crate yesterday morning and I’m pretty sure it was because she was tired to me talking to her. Yeahhh…


THIS, my friends, is Cajun chicken pasta. It is SUPER easy, really quick, and not that spicy (for all my spice-hating friends out there). I’ve been cooking pretty much EVERY day this week, and this by far one of the easiest (but still delicious) things I’ve made in awhile. It all boils down to this one secret ingredient which has become my favorite spice of the week:


Here’s what you need (adapted from Eat, Live, Run)…

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 medium breasts) cut into bite sized pieces
1 shallot, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, diced
2 tsp of cajun seasoning, divided (I used Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning)
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
1/3 cup of fat free half and half
1 17 oz. package of whole wheat linguine (I used about ¾ of the package)

Here’s what you do…

1. Boil your pasta in salted water per directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In the meantime, add about 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large pan and add your chicken and 1 tsp of cajun seasoning. Cook until chicken is cooked through - about 8-10 minutes. Put on a plate a set aside.


3. Add a little more oil to the pan if needed, then add garlic and shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring often so the garlic doesn't burn.
4. Add tomatoes, half and half, and another 1 tsp of cajun seasoning. Stir for a few minutes until well-blended, then add the chicken.


5. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Then, take it off the heat and add your pasta.
6. Enjoy!

I served it with a side of green beans and a sprinkle of fresh parmesan on top. 


I think my project for today will be sewing up all of Piper's toys that she chewed giant holes in. She's already in her crate hoping I will leave her alone.

I need to start working ASAP...

0 comments:

Post a Comment