Friday, May 4, 2012

Classic Sloppy Joes

One week. I have one week and then I will be FREE from finals. FREE to annoy you all every single day with brand new recipes. Like this!


Sloppy Joes. So random, I know, but I had a dream the other night about this awesome camp I went to as a kid (who doesn’t love capture the flag in the middle of the woods???) and they served the BEST sloppy joes. Although they were probably terrible and terrible for me, but I was 7 and had no clue.

These are not terrible for you. And are very very tasty. And can be made in a crockpot, or a large pot. I prefer the crock pot because I can wander off and forget about it.

I got this recipe from this fantastic book (buy it here):


If you have a crock pot, I recommend it. The recipes aren’t the most healthy, but they are super easy and easy to MAKE healthy by substituting ingredients.

Here’s what you need…

1 medium yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 lbs of lean ground beef*
1 ¼ cup of ketchup
1 red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
5 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp of white vinegar
4 tbsp of plain yellow mustard
2 tsp of chili powder
¼ cup of brown sugar
Whole wheat hamburger buns

*I used 93% lean ground beef, however, ground turkey or chicken will work just as well and likely be more healthy. Justin refused to eat a sloppy joe not made from ground beef.

Here’s what you do…

1. Regardless of whether or not you’re using a crock pot or large pot, heat a large skillet with about 1 tbsp of oil and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the meat and mash and stir until it’s brown. Drain the pan and set the meat aside.


2. In your large pot or crock pot, add ketchup, bell pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and chili powder. Add your meat/onion mixture. If using a crock pot, cook on low for 6 hours. If using a large pot, cook over low heat for 3 hours stirring occasionally.


3. Serve on delicious whole wheat buns.
4. Enjoy!

Life will be exponentially better in one week. Be safe and enjoy Cinco de Mayo/Derby tomorrow, and think of me...sad at my desk studying a combination of Civil Procedure, Torts, and Contracts. I know, you're jealous.


0 comments:

Post a Comment