Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich with Garlic Basil Mayo

Also known as the MOST AMAZING SANDWICH EVER. No lie.



This sandwich is so good it tastes like it came from a restaurant. The main difference is this is slightly healthier and A LOT cheaper. We loved this sandwich so much I made it twice in the same week.

Plus, we have all this delicious basil Justin grew from seeds out on the balcony. It is the best tasting basil ever (apparently everything in this post is the best tasting thing ever).


I know it’s more work than you would usually put into a sandwich, but I promise you it is so worth it.

Here’s what you need (adapted from My Life as a Mrs)…

For the mayo:

6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
½ cup of mayonnaise (I used reduced fat made with olive oil mayo from Kraft)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper

Mix all these ingredients together and refrigerate, preferably a few hours before you make the sandwich.


 For the sandwich:

Whole wheat bread (you want it to be thicker)
2 pieces of bacon per sandwich
1 large piece of boneless skinless chicken per 2 sandwiches
1 piece of swiss cheese per sandwich
Lettuce
Onion
Whatever else you want to put on your sandwich!

Here’s what you do…

1. I bake my bacon because it makes it crispier and I don't make a huge mess. So, I preheat my oven to 350 and then throw in my bacon on a baking sheet for 20 minutes. If you cook bacon a different way, do that and set it aside.
2. Tenderize your chicken by pounding it with a large pan. Season it with whatever you want, but I found salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides was PERFECT.
3. Grill your chicken (or you can use a pan) for about 6 1/2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Allow to rest for a few minutes, then cut into pieces.


4. Turn on your broiler. Toast your bread, and on 1 piece spread on mayo (you want a decent amount), put on as much chicken as you would like, and top with a slice of cheese. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
5. Remove from the broiler and top with bacon.


6. On the other slice of toasted bread, spread on mayo, and add toppings (we just used onion and lettuce).
7. Put them together, slice in half and ENJOY!


This is definitely my new favorite sandwich. And I have been using the leftover garlic-basil mayo on all my other sandwiches - it is delicious.

Hope you are all having a wonderful week so far, but if you are not, this sandwich will make it MUCH better :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment