Monday, May 21, 2012

Pho with Chicken

I know, I know, it's summer. WHY am I posting a soup recipe?



It’s because I’m fairly convinced this soup has healing powers. After tasting it, all I could think was "I wish I had this the last time I had a cold."

Make this and freeze it for a sick day. You won’t regret it.

Here’s what you need (from Eat, Live, Run)…


1 lb of boneless skinless chicken cut into cubes
5 cloves of garlic, diced
1 tbsp of fresh ginger, grated (I used my cheese grater)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 baby bok choy, chopped*
A sprinkle of salt
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 jalapeno, diced*
3 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
½ an 8 oz. package of chinese noodles (they should be pre-divided in the package)

*You can chop all of the bok choy - stems and all

*Leave out the jalapeño if you don't like spicy

Here's what you do...

1. Cook your chinese noodles in salted water until cooked through (this only took 3-4 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside. You add them at the very end.
2. In a large stockpot, sauté your garlic and ginger in the 1 tbsp of sesame oil for about 1 minute.
3. Add chicken, bok choy and a sprinkle of salt and stir for about 5 minutes, until your chicken is white, but not completely cooked through.


4. Add chicken broth, jalapeño (if using), and green onion. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.


5. Add soy sauce and rice vinegar. Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes to blend everything together.
6. Add cooked noodles, stir to mix with everything else and serve immediately or freeze.
7. Enjoy!

This soup was very filling, and I froze some for the next time I have a cold. I'll thank myself later :)

Happy Monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment