Friday, April 11, 2014

My Favorite Taco Recipe

Are my photography skills getting worse? It's entirely possible.


I have zero artistic skill whatsoever, so I apologize for my terrible photos. My grandmother on my father's side was an artist - she painted beautiful watercolors - and I remember she desperately wanted me or one of my brothers to have excellent artistic skills.

None of us did. Or do (to my knowledge), which is evidenced by my terrible photographs and my paintings of animals that look like trees.

Anyway, onto tacos!

I LOVE tacos. Justin and I make this recipe at least once every two weeks. It's easy, cheap, and delicious.

You can customize your tacos however you want. Sometimes we use guac, sometimes we use avocado (when I'm in the mood to deals with cutting one) - it's up to you.

Here's what you need . . .

Taco shells (most hard corn taco shells are GF)
1 lb of ground chicken, turkey, or beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp taco seasoning (I use Trader Joe's brand)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes w/green chiles (see pic below)
1 can of black beans, rinsed
Toppings of choice (we use cheese, shredded lettuce, and light sour cream)

Here's what you do . . .

1. Saute meat in some olive oil on medium-high heat with your onion and seasonings until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.


2. Add beans and tomatoes and turn heat to low. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes so all the flavors soak in.


3. Assemble your tacos and enjoy!

See, I told you it was simple. And there are always plenty of leftovers for more tacos or a taco salad.


Ugh. Can someone teach me to take better photos? These just don't do these tacos justice.

Have a wonderful weekend! The weather in NC is gorgeous and I intend to take full advantage by reading case books on our balcony :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment