Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Tacos?! Yes, please!

Recently, my future sister-in-law introduced me to this food blog that has quickly become my favorite. How Sweet It Is has so many amazing recipes, and the first one I tried turned out AMAZING, which makes me love her blog even more. 

I should also say I am a little afraid of my Slow Cooker. I know they are made to be left alone in the house for hours at a time, but I can't help but wonder if my Slow Cooker is the Slow Cooker that was made defectively and will explode while I am gone (can you tell I am a lawyer in training?). 
Really scary, huh?
ANYway, I tried out this recipe for homemade chicken tacos, and it was fantastic. I really did not change anything, but I will write the recipe anyway.

You need...

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 big ones)
3/4 a cup of beer (I used Dos Equis Amber - about a cup)
1 TBSP of chili powder
1 and 1/2 TSP of cumin
1/2 TSP of paprika
1/4 TSP of garlic powder (definitely used a 1/2 TSP)
1/4 TSP of onion powder
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 TSP of salt
1/2 TSP pepper
3/4 cup of cheddar cheese (I used about a cup of 2% shredded)
Taco shells (I used soft multigrain)

Whatever your favorite taco toppings are (we used lettuce, onion, salsa, refried black beans and sprinkled some extra cheese on top).



Here is what you do...

1. Mix together all the spices in a bowl (I did this the night before).
2. Whisk the beer in with the 1 and 1/2 TBSP of your spices (I did this in the morning)
3. Put the chicken in the Slow Cooker, pour the beer/spices mixture over it, and cook on Low for 7-8 hours (or high 4 hours, but I did low - I was gone all day!).
4. After the 7-8 hours, uncover your Slow Cooker and shred the chicken. All the moisture in the cooker will be soaked up by your shredded chicken. You should be able to do this with a fork.


5. Add whatever spices you have leftover (or, if you like a more mild flavor, don't add it) and let it sit on low for another 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the cheese and quickly transfer to another bowl - getting cheese off your Slow Cooker = the worst thing ever.
7. Build your tacos and ENJOY!


This is going to be a new household favorite. So, try it (great weeknight meal), love it, and definitely check out How Sweet It Is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment