Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dressing Done Right

I love dressings. Dressings make a salad. Dressings also make a salad unhealthy.

I make salads on a pretty regular basis, and because I like knowing precisely what is in my salad, I also make dressings fairly frequently.

One of my favorite dressing recipes was initially taken from Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com/2009/03/29/olive-garden-salad-dressing/ - original recipe), but I have EXTENSIVELY edited it to make it more healthy and more to my liking. It ends up tasting like a creamy italian dressing...without the cream.

Here's what you need:
1 clove of garlic (or a little more if you like things garlicky like my fiancé)*
1/2 cup of fat free mayonnaise 
1/3 cup of white vinegar
2 tbsp of agave or honey
4 tbsp of parmigiano reggiano (or 2 tbsp of shredded parmesan and 2 tbsp of romano cheese)*
1 tsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp of italian seasoning
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice

*If you don't own a food processor, substitute the garlic cloves for 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp (I usually do 1 tsp) of garlic powder and whisk all the ingredients in a bowl.

*Note, fresh shredded cheese is the best. It adds the most flavor and you don't have to use as much. However, if you want to purchase pre-purchased shredded cheese, go for it.

Here's what you do:
1. Put all the ingredients into a food processor (or whisk in a bowl)
2. Blend well.
3. Put in a tightly sealed container (or you can buy empty dressing bottles at the grocery store - great way to store your own dressing) and let it sit overnight before using for the BEST flavor.
4. Enjoy!

You really only need 2-3 tbsp per salad and it lasts a good 7-10 days in the fridge. This dressing has a great flavor without you having to feel terribly guilty about it. My fiancé always asks me to make this, and it is a huge hit when I bring a salad to a dinner party.

Tomatoes from our garden this summer - yum!


My favorite salad:
1. Half arugula, half spinach
2. 1 campari tomato, sliced
3. a few strips of red onion
4. 5 pieces of a peeled cucumber cut in half
5. About 2 good spoonfuls of reduced fat feta cheese
6. This dressing

YUM! If you are not a salad fan, make that salad (assuming you like all the ingredients) with this dressing and become a fan!

Sorry for the lack of pictures - taking pictures of my dressing just looked strange and a little repetitive. I'll do better next time :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment