Saturday, January 7, 2012

My love/hate relationship with quinoa

I really, really want to like quinoa. It is one of the best (if not the best) grain for you, and it seems to have a million health benefits.

Try as I might, I am generally not a fan of quinoa. I usually have to add a million different things to make it taste good, and then it is no longer healthy. Recently, I made a quinoa recipe (found on http://www.eating-for-england.com/quinoa-salad-beans-avocado/), and while it is far from my favorite thing, this recipe was 1. easy, 2. healthy, and 3. really great to take to school.

What you need:
1 cup of quinoa - make sure you rinse it (use one of the mesh strainers - took me awhile to figure this out)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
6-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 small cucumber, sliced*
1/2 a red onion, diced
1 and 3/4 cups of water (next time I plan to try chicken or vegetable broth to add more flavor to the quinoa)

*The original recipe called for avocado. I could not find fresh avocado (and honestly, it's not my favorite unless it's in guacamole, so I switched for cucumber).

1. Using a decent sized saucepan, pour a bit of olive oil in and put in your quinoa. Warm it for about 3 minutes stirring often.
2. Pour in water or broth. Cover and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
3. Once it's done, add your beans to warm them. Let cool for a few minutes.
4. Add your vegetables and stir well.

http://www.eating-for-england.com/quinoa-salad-beans-avocado/


I also added the following (sort of a dressing):
juice from one lime
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp of cumin
salt
pepper

Mix it all together and pour it over your quinoa/bean/veggie mixture. Next time, I plan to use more lime.

And that's it! You can eat it cold or warm it up. It keeps well in the fridge for awhile, and you don't need to eat much to get full.

Hope you enjoy it as much as one can enjoy quinoa :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment