Friday, January 6, 2012

My Breakfast Love Affair

My fiancé and I love to cook. Cooking at home is so much healthier than going out, and it can be relaxing (which, as a law student, I enjoy thoroughly). Most of my standard recipes are pretty healthy, but every so often when I absolutely need comfort, I will cook something unhealthy (usually still better than going out to eat).

SO, for my first recipe to share, I thought I would give you my favorite (and super easy) breakfast casserole. I started with a recipe I found on verybestbaking.com (http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/29566/Potato-Bacon-Casserole/detail.aspx - original recipe) and slightly edited it to my taste. The best thing about this is you can throw it together the night before, put it in the fridge, and then just put it in the oven the next morning. Side note - I promise to start using my own pictures soon. Until then, picture from the web:

Potato Bacon Casserole recipe
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/29566/Potato-Bacon-Casserole/detail.aspx

You need...

1 package hash browns (I use Simply Potatoes)
12 strips of bacon - cooked*
4-6 eggs (depending on how big your casserole dish is)
1/2 a yellow onion - diced
1/4-1/2 cup of evaporated milk (they make a 2% version)
1 package of 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt
Pepper

*Helpful bacon tip - if you hate doing in the frying pan (I do, I always get burned!), put your bacon on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your bacon). SO easy!

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Spray a non-stick spray in your casserole dish 
3. Put a layer of potatoes on the bottom - season with salt and pepper to taste
4. Sprinkle a layer of onion
5. Crumble bacon (or leave in strips - up to you!) and sprinkle a layer of bacon
6. Sprinkle a layer of cheese
7. Repeat - potatoes, onion, bacon, cheese - until you get to the top of your dish. Make sure cheese is on the top!
8. Whisk your eggs with your milk and pour the mixture evenly over your casserole dish. You want to ensure your bottom layer of potatoes is covered in the egg mixture.
9. Place in the oven COVERED for 60 minutes. Then, cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
10. Enjoy!

I love this dish. It keeps in the fridge REALLY well - all you have to do is reheat it in the microwave or oven. It is not the most healthy dish, but it keeps you full for most of the day, and it is absolutely delicious. Hope you enjoy!

P.S. The name of my blog is a play on my future husband's last name, in case you were wondering :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment