Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Sous Chefs and Twice Baked Potatoes

Happy Sunday, everyone! We had a lot of leftover potatoes that needed to be used, so last night I made my stepmom's twice baked potatoes - they are one of my favorite side dishes, and they are great when you are cooking for large groups of people. I will say they are a bit time consuming, but definitely worth it.

Before I get to that, I wanted to introduce my two sous chefs. They are ALWAYS in the kitchen with me and willing to taste test anything.

This is Piper:

And here is Perry:

The two best sous chefs a girl could ask for! Now, onto the recipe.

This is courtesy of my stepmom, who is a great cook. She always makes these for holidays, and I can never get my recipe to taste EXACTLY like hers, but I definitely try.

Here's what you need:
Potatoes - I used 6, but use as many as you need!
2 tbsp of butter 
3-4 tbsp of low fat cottage cheese
1/2 a cup of 2% shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup of fat free milk
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Here is what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Stab your potatoes a few times, wrap them in foil, and bake for 60-90 minutes (until they are pretty soft)
3. Take potatoes out and let them cool (unwrapped) for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Slice the potatoes in half.
5. Using a spoon, scoop the potato into a bowl leaving a shell.

*Make sure your edges are fairly thick - they have to be strong enough to hold your stuffing!
6. Add butter, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the potato you scooped into the bowl. Mash/stir.

7. Stuff the shells with the potato mixture. You want them to be stuffed pretty well. 
8. Put the re-stuffed potatoes back into the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.

Yum! While these are not the most healthy side dish, they are not as bad as most if you use the low fat ingredients. Also, if you choose to use more than 6 potatoes, you may want to add a little bit more of everything.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: