Sunday, January 29, 2012

Holy Chicken Parmesan!

I have never been able to make a decent chicken parmesan. Try as I might, it has never turned out well...until now.


Yet another AMAZING blog my future sister-in-law introduced me to is Eat, Live, Run. This girl has the most fantastic recipes, and the first one I tried was her chicken parmesan. Why? It had the ingredient I never knew I needed:


Pepperoni.




Normally, I would have stopped there. Pepperoni is LOADED with fat and calories. However, this magical girl also introduced me to something else:


Turkey pepperoni!


It has legitimately 70% less fat than regular pepperoni...and it TASTES THE SAME! How did I not know this existed??


If you want to use regular pepperoni, be my guest. I'm sure it will be amazing, but I am TELLING YOU - you will not feel guilty about this chicken parmesan if you do it this way.


Here's what you need (adapted from this recipe):
4 chicken breasts, pounded thin (just put them in a ziplock bag and pound them with a big pan)
1-2 cups of panko bread crumbs (I used italian seasoned ones)
2 eggs
1/2 cup of flour (i used whole wheat)
1/4 cup of milk (I used fat free)
1 cup of shredded mozzarella (I used 2%)
1/2 cup of parmesan (freshly shredded! I probably used closer to a cup)
Turkey pepperoni
salt and pepper to taste
1 box of angel hair pasta (I use whole wheat)
1 jar of your favorite marinara. This is mine:




Here is what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. In 3 separate dishes, put your eggs and milk (scrambled together), flour, and bread crumbs.




3. Season your chicken with salt and pepper, then dip it -  first in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs, then in the flour.
4. Place your chicken in a large pan with about 1/4 cup of canola oil. 
5. Fry the chicken until golden on each side (about 7-8 minutes per side). It should look like this:




6. Drain the chicken on a plate with a paper towel.
7. Meanwhile, grease a baking dish with PAM. Place your chicken in the dish, then cover with the jar of sauce (trust me - you want to use the whole thing), then both cheeses...then cover with pepperoni and sprinkle a little extra cheese on top.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, cook your pasta.
9. Put your chicken/sauce/deliciousness over your pasta and ENJOY!


I made some side salads with my favorite dressing




This meal was SO GOOD. We loved the leftovers, and it was just fantastic. There is just something about the pepperoni...and I love that I didn't feel guilty about it. 


It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds, so try it! Let me know how it goes :)




YUM!


Side note: I have to say, thank you so much for the support!! I really did not think anyone would read this (and my thought was even if no one read it, this was a great way to catalogue my favorite recipes), but thank you for reading and enjoying. It makes me so happy to be able to pass on these recipes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment