Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Healthy Pizza?? It DOES exist!

When I started dieting intensely last year, one of the things I missed the most was pizza. It is the ultimate comfort food, and I love it. The problem is, it is NOT conducive to dieting. 


One day at the grocery store, I discovered you can buy dough balls. This allows you to make your own pizza and control EVERYthing that goes into it - amazing!


In the beginning, I used fat free cheese and a LOT of seasoning, but I realized 2% cheese tastes MUCH better, and isn't that much worse for you. 

I should also explain that when I started making my own pizza, I used a cookie sheet. This works perfectly fine, but once this meal became a staple in our house, we bought a pizza stone. If you make this recipe and love it, buy a pizza stone. You can get one for about $30 at Target, and it makes the flavor and crunch MUCH better. 




This is my pizza stone! If you use a pizza stone, preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and put your pizza stone in for 10-15 minutes to warm it. Roll out your dough and put in on your pizza stone, and then add the other ingredients. This allows your crust to start getting nice and crispy. 


Here is what you need...


Whole wheat flour corn meal
1 roll of whole wheat dough*
1 can of pizza sauce (I use Don Pepino's - it's the best one I have tried!)
2 bags of 2% shredded mozzarella (I usually only use 1 and a half bags to cover the pizza on the stone)
Italian seasoning
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Fresh shredded parmesan


*You can usually find dough balls over by your deli. They are refrigerated. Make sure you choose whole wheat - MUCH healthier than white.




1. If you're not using the pizza stone, preheat oven to 380 degrees. If you are using the stone, make sure you lower the temperature. Make sure you take your dough ball out of the fridge an hour before you roll it out.
2. Using whole wheat flour, roll out your dough ball. I usually measure my cookie sheet/cookie sheet with parchment paper and cut it out so I know what I'm aiming for when I roll out the dough.
3. Place your dough on your cookie sheet/hot pizza stone.
4. Evenly spread sauce, cheese, and seasoning over your pizza. Add whatever else you want - I have done onions, broccoli, pepperoni (super unhealthy - weak moment), etc.




5. Put your pizza in the oven for 12 minutes. 
6. After 12 minutes, turn your pizza and leave in for another 10 minutes.
7. Take out your pizza and let it set for about 10-15 minutes.



8. How good does that look?? ENJOY! This is the most healthy version of pizza that exists. Do not feel guilty about this one!


If you really feel guilty, use fat free cheese, but honestly, the 2% tastes so much better. There are 12-15 grams of fat in the WHOLE pizza. Did you know there are 10 grams of fat in ONE piece of pizza from Papa John's??


Make this on a cookie sheet. Love it. Buy a pizza stone. Love it more. Thank me later :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment