Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blood Orange Sangria

A little sangria is guaranteed to make your Tuesday better.


People always hate on Mondays. Mondays don't really bother me, but Tuesdays? Ew. The last few semesters my Tuesdays have been my longest days at school, AND when I worked full time Tuesdays were the nights I had to work until 9 p.m.

This? This helps my Tuesday.

Blood oranges are in season (isn't that weird?) and they are my favorite. The sweet/tart combo is the best. And look at that color!


Warning: this isn't the sweetest sangria in the world - it's tart. If you like it sweeter, I would suggest adding some simple syrup or honey. For me, the fruit added the perfect amount of sweet.

Here's what you need (from How Sweet Eats)...

4-5 blood oranges
1 bottle of pinot grigio*
1/3 cup of brandy
1/2 cup of club soda (or sprite if you want more sweetness)
1/2 a container of strawberries, cut into pieces
1/2 an apple cut into pieces
1/2 a container of raspberries

*Again, for a sweeter sangria use something like a Riesling.

Here's what you do...

1. Squeeze the juice out of three oranges into a bowl. I did it by hand. Set aside.

2. Chop your fruit, including your last blood orange.


3. In a large pitcher, combine fruit, blood orange juice, wine, brandy, and club soda. Stir well to combine.


4. You can pour it right away, but I let mine sit overnight and it was WAY better. This gets better with time. Enjoy!!

This was (is) delicious. My Tuesday just got a lot better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment