Friday, February 15, 2013

Butternut Squash Lasagna

The other day, I was in serious need of comfort food. This TOTALLY hit the spot.


I'm sort of in need of comfort food now, and I'm tempted to make this again. I had blood drawn today for our life insurance application (because fiance forces me to do things like this because I am an "adult." Pfffft.), and me and blood and needles? Not good. Definitely fainted.

SO, this can be made one of two ways. I made it in an oven safe skillet (purchased at Williams Sonoma). That skillet is seriously one of the BEST kitchen purchases I have ever made. Being able to make everything in one skillet and then just throw it in the oven is WAY too easy.

You can also make this the traditional way you make lasagna - in a baking dish. Totally your call - I promise it will be amazing either way.

Here's what you need (from How Sweet Eats)...


2 cans of butternut squash
6-8 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
1 package ground chicken
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk
1/4 cup of reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
Fresh mozzarella, sliced into rounds
Panko bread crumbs

Here's what you do...

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cook your lasagna noodles according to the package, but shave off 1-2 minutes - they will cook in the oven. Set aside.

3. Pour about 1 1/2 cans of butternut squash into a bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of salt, nutmeg and pepper and mix up. Set aside.


4. In your skillet, saute onion with olive oil and 1/4 tsp of salt until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add ground chicken and 1 tbsp of sage and cook until chicken is lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside chicken mixture in a bowl.


5. Add butter to your skillet and let it melt and then add flour. Mix until combined, then add milk. Stir well until it starts to thicken - about 3-5 minutes.

6. Add cream cheese, parmesan, and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir until everything is melted and creamy.


7. Add your butternut squash to the mix and stir to combine. Then, add chicken mixture and stir again.


8. At this point if you are not using an oven safe skillet, you'll want to start layering in a baking dish. I'd put a bit of sauce (the chicken mixture) in the bottom, then do a layer of noodles, layer of squash/chicken mixture, mozzarella (be sure you slice it thin if you're making the recipe this way), and then repeat until you reach the top.

9. If you ARE using an oven safe skillet, what you do is tuck your noodles strategically in the chicken/squash mixture. I used my spoon, but next time I think I'll use my hands. You want to push some to the bottom and then add more on top with the chicken mixture in between. Hopefully that makes some sense.

10. Add mozzarella rounds on top, then the additional sage, then breadcrumbs.


11. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and let sit for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!


It looks like a weird pizza, but it was SO good. Creamy and delicious, but not the most unhealthy comfort food ever!

Have a fantastic weekend! I'm going to continue recovering from my harrowing experience this morning. Being an adult is hard.

PS: Don't forget to follow my exercise adventures here! Thanks for all the words of support :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment